Saturday, August 4, 2018

Security issues have prevented my from posting my Eurovelo6 ride.  I will bring everyone up-to-date
Day 1
Today marked day one of my Europe ride-EuroVelo6. I would like to dedicate the first stage to my good friends, Hank and Carol Darlington who, without his help, I would not be doing this. Our journey today started in St. Nazire, France and finished in CHAMPtoceaux 60 miles. St.Nazire is located on the west coast of France by the Atlantic Ocean and is probably best know for it's shipping and submarine base. Our journey followed the Loire river valley. Knowing I have many more days to ride, the bike fairy gave us a near perfect weather day. The biggest city in the region in Nantes and as we road through I was impressed with the flavor and art district in the city.
Favorable winds, temperature in the 70's and reasonably flat land (until the final 3 miles) made it a great start to this adventure. While the road conditions varied from gravel to rough and bumpy along with smooth road, it did not deter from what a positive start we had today. My biking partners, Jay and Tom are very strong riders so I'm just trying to keep up. Today I succeeded until the hills appeared  over the last three miles. At that point they left me in their dust as I struggled to reach the top. But, I expect as time goes on I will improve my climbing......or maybe not. On another note, the women who are providing support, my wife Veronica and Robin, had a excellent lunch ready for us about half way through today's journey and was greatly appreciated.  Thanks again ladies.
                                                      Start of ride
                                                       Expresso stop
                                                        bridge crossing Loire River
                                                                Girls fixing lunch for us
End of day

No comments:

Post a Comment