Thursday, August 16, 2018

Day 16 on the EuroVelo6 bike ride across Europe. Today' s trek took us from Hohentengen to Singen Germany a total of 55 miles. Our route took us into and out of Switzerland three different times as we made our way into Singen. There were virtually no guards or stops as we exited and entered Germany. Weather conditions were perfect with temperatures that started in the 60's and made it into the low 80's. Even though we had a headwind, it didn't effect the ride. Road conditions, again, ran the gamit from silky smooth asphalt to bumpy, nut crushing rock. Going downhill as a brisk pace on rock is dangerous and it would have been a good idea to walk that part. Tom, the smart one of the group, opted to do so. And not to offend anyone but since most viewers just look at the photos you will probably not read the naughty reference to the body part.
The trail itself was very crowded with pedestrians and cyclists. It had the most people we have seen on the trail since we started the trip....somewhat like driving a car on the highway. Passing was precarious as there were many on-coming bikers and often the people we were passing were taking the whole trail. Ringers on bikes are required in Germany and we made good use of them. Now for the fun stuff. Climbing out of our hotel was difficult but one of the easiest climbs of the day. The gamins had us at 2,200 feet of climbing but it seemed like many more. We went through many small German, Swiss towns nestled between the hills along the river. So it made the journey intersting.
One story to share. On a particularly long hill, as I chugged in my good old granny gear, I looked in my rear view mirror and much to my suprise, a group of larger elderly people were gaining on me. No way was I going to let them pass so I turned it up a notch... if that was indeed possible. Finally reaching the top, Tom and Jay were waiting for me and I arrived just in front of the riders behind me. And, there was one elderly gentleman with two elderly female riders who were on the bigger side, to put it mildly. How in the world were they able to catch me I wondered until I realized they were riding E-BIKES!! Yep, they are quite popular in these parts and one of the women looked at me, smiled and said with a thick German accent..."e-bikes are nice". Maybe one day I will own one......ha, not likely. So, another great day on the ride across Europe.
                                                           bola, bola
                                              Rhein FAlls

                                                      Caterpellar
                                                      Lunch stop  Singem on Rhein
                                                    Oswald lunch companions

                                                       For the flower lovers
                                                       almost went wading but decided not

No comments:

Post a Comment