Thursday, October 13, 2011

This is the typical view of the road we rode mile after mile through the Carolinas and Georgia
Florida-Georgia border
No, I didn't fall. That's me resting while others are taking care of business
Crossing intercoastal waterway on bridge on A1A-Sorry about the
obstruction Access to Fernandina Beach FL
Fernandina Beach-Loved it-wide, long, relatively deserted
Day 23
Stats
Distance 61 miles- total to date 1,500
Weather 70-83 degrees
wind WSW 5-10 mph
Today was a 61 mile jaunt from Brunswick GA. to Fernadina Beach Fl. The scenery has not changed much since we entered Georgia; roads and pine trees. Our main route is CR17 and today it was not the crowded, congested four lane we have had the last few days. In fact, there were stretches where there was virtually no traffic. On the other hand, there is no shoulder for bikers so we had to be on the main road. Again there were "share the road" signs to help remind motorists there could be bicycles on the road. Oddly enough, one of the highlights of the last few days was watching a bunch of vultures devour a deer that had the misfortune of meeting the front of an automobile. I thought about stopping and taking a picture but thought better. Two reasons. First I don't think I would publish it on my blog because it was so gross. Secondly, I couldn't be sure those vultures wouldn't think of me as dessert so I deferred.
On another aside, I would like to compliment the Georgia rednecks for being consistent. Today, I rode with several of my brethren and as one particular pickup truck passed it revved its engine and discharged a huge plume of diesel smoke that engulfed the entire group. We literally could not see the road or other riders around us. Doug, our British rider, indicated he couldn't see a thing until the cloud dispersed. My guess is that conduct is a common tactic for those rednecks who need to get their kicks picking on the defenseless. Hopefully, their foolishness doesn't result in the injury, or worse to bicycle riders.
Ten miles from our destination, we turned onto the famous a1a that parallels the ocean. It is one of the major North/South arteries used by locals and tourists to access the many towns and cities that dot the eastern part of Florida. Plus, the wind that was coming from the west was now at our backs, so the last 10 miles were a breeze. (pun intended). We have two more riding days before we reaching the end of the tour.
Tomorrow, at 10:00 WHOI channel 19 is conducting an interview concerning my biking the East Coast.
Contributions to Alzheimers Assn:
Marsha Rae
Central Illinois Alzheimers Assn
606 w Glen
Peoria, Il. 61614
note-Champ Walker's EAst Coast Bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment