Tuesday, May 28, 2024

 

 

Labor Day ride today was a 55 miler to LeRoy along rte 150. Yes it was breezy, 15-20 mph from the WNW so half the ride was a severe cross wind. Having made this trek many times, this was the first in over a year. After reaching my destination I figured I has enough gas for another 45 miles to Champaign.  But I will save that for later.  Four observations that some of my friends may help explain. First, Bloomington constructed a great project known as the Constitution Trial for bikers and hikers. Why not maintain it so it can be useful? There are all sorts of debris including, but not limited to, acorns, tree branches, dead animals and large cracks in the in the path that are truly a danger to cyclists. Second, what is with all the tents under the viaducts and along the right of way near one of the cemeteries? My assumption they are homeless but on my previous rides, they were not there. Third, with all the excess money the state of Illinois supposedly has, why is the road from Bloomington to LeRoy in such horrible shape? It's like riding on 15 miles of railroad track. And finally, riding through the huge wind farm NW of Bloomington, with the wind as brisk as it was, none of the windmills were turning. My assumption is they are in the IWW union. (International Windmills of the World) Since Labor Day is a federal holiday, contractually, they don't work on holidays. Hummm, just sayin! All those matters aside, it was a great day for riding a bicycle across the hills, valleys and grain fields of Central Illinois and looking forward to my first century in nearly two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment