Friday, May 8, 2009

Big ride begins Sunday so before it begins I need to share information about the charity I am supporting during the ride. In this economy it is difficult for me to request financial contibutions to a charatible organization from friends and family. However, every 7 seconds someone is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. I'm not really sure why it's called a disease. It doesn't spread from person to person through contact or any other methods common to diseases. It is not caused by a germ, fungus or virus. There is no cure and the only hope, currently, is that it can be reasonably managed until the inevitably. Having been encouraged to support a charity during my cross country adventure I researched many charitable organizations. They are all worthy, but I choose the Central Illinois Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association. The research suggests that as the baby boomers continue advancing in years, Alzheimers will reach epidemic proportions. It not only effects the person afflicted, but their families and friends in ways no other disease does. In fact, Maria Shriver is doing an HBO special next Sunday called the Alzheimers Project. I watched a portion of it and had to change channels. It was brutal. Therefore, I am encouraging those of you who would like to support my cross country ride to donate as you deem appropriate to the Central Illinois Chapter/ Alzheimers Association at 606 W. Glen Ave, Peoria Illinois 9025. www.alz.org/illinoiscentral You can also send donations to me personally at my home address (e-mail www.walkecha@hotmail.com for address)and I will see that it reaches the Central Illinois Chapter. Either way, be sure to indicate it is in support of Champ Walker's Cross Country Bicycle Ride and be sure we can identify you as someone who contributed to this charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment