Thursday, October 3, 2024

 

 

 

 


 

Interesting ride of 55 miles yesterday.  Wind was favorable, temperature low 70's and a beautiful day for biking in central Illinois.  As usual, with a NNW wind of 15-20 mph and I want to do an outside ride, I decided, on the spur of the moment, to ride to LeRoy.  I use route 150 which includes several climbs and a 45 mph downhill known as "Freddies Hill".  Things were going well until I passed Downs.  A wide load semi began passing me.  I'm on the far right shoulder as far to the outside as is safe, and, as the vehicle passes I see it is taking the entire roadway including on-coming lanes.  As it passes, and unfortunately I had not turned on my camera, it misses me by less that a foot and, to make matters worse, blared its horn as it went by.  Of course, I gave the driver the "one fingered salute".  My thinking was, where was I supposed to go to avoid this jerk.  Maybe, he thought I should ride into the corn field near the road.  Continuing along the highway, it wasn't long before his buddy in another "wide load" taking up the entire road passed. It too came as close as it could and barely missed hitting me. The trailing vehicle blared it's horn as it passed.  Again, I indicated my displeasure by giving him the finger.  Afterward, I thought if I really wanted to piss them off, I could have taken the entire half of the highway which is my legal right. In addition, they are required, by law, to pass me by three feet.  My many, many miles riding the highways and byways of this country were fraught with near misses and twice actually being hit by motor vehicles. While I rant about this I do recognize this is part of biking and there is nothing I can do about it unless I stop biking.  Of course, I won't do that and hope my demise will not be by some ignorant motorist who is a hater.  Enough and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment