Thursday, May 12, 2022

 


Finally, finally, finally...after a Spring where I was only to bike outside two or three times, after a three day Mothers Day holiday, the temperature was where an outside ride was possible.  Tuesday with a 15 mile southern wind I rode 35 miles to Magnolia.  Now the bad news.  The temperature hit the 90 degree mark.  Afterward I could really tell.  And,  since I had not much outside riding it really took a toll.  But, I finished in fine fashion and was glad I completed the distance.  So I was so jacked up to ride outside again, I planned a 40 miler for Wednesday.  The wind was under 10 mph so I would do my regular route to Goodfield.  Now the bad news.  I knew it would be in the low 90 degree temp so I decided on an earlier starting time.  As luck would have it I didn't get on the road until 11:00 a.m. During my warm=up mile I felt the temperature would  be manageable. As the miles past I started to question if I had made a good decision.  Since there was no way to acclimate to the high temperature I thought I should stop rest and maybe call for a ride.  As I have often stated, if you start something finish it.  So I rode on and by the end of the trek I was pretty well done.  Good thing for air conditioning.  The lovely Veronica informed me that the temp was 94 with a heat index of 107.  Not smart to bike in those conditions without conditioning but nobody ever accused me of such.  Obviously it took extra time for recovery and my repaired knee began to hurt.  Lesson learned....be smart before biking in those types of conditions.  I've got absolutely nothing to prove.  Tomorrow is a hot day, I will bike but not as far and with a rest.  More later

No comments:

Post a Comment