Monday, March 19, 2018


Great day to bike yesterday.  While it was a bit cool (50 degrees) the sun was shining and the wind was mild from the east at about 5 mph.  This was my first extended ride of the season (40) miles and the most notable aspect was that the cars and trucks showed me "mucho" respect.  No close calls or other obnoxious behavior.  In fact,  all the traffic passed me in the opposite lane when there were no on-coming vehicles.  That almost never happens.  I attribute this to the beginning of the season and the drivers are more aware of bicycle traffic.  Hopefully, this behavior continues through the biking season. 
On another note, it was such a nice ride even the two dogs who chased me didn't diminish my enjoyment of the ride.  I am still amazed that a large white lab can attain the amazing speed of 25 mph.  One of the chase dogs was named Princess Lea.  I met one of the owners last summer as he was mowing his yard.  He lives on the farm just west of Goodfield.  His dog was about 4 fields west and I stopped to ask him if that were his pet.  He indicated it was and thanked me for informing him his dog was too far from home.  During our conversation he said the dogs name was Princess Lea and it was a very friendly gentle dog.   That particular animal has chased me several times so I was glad it was not aggressive.  Yesterday, as I passed I saw Princess Lea in the front yard and as I came into view the chase was on.  I stepped on it hoping to out run her.  But, as I passed 20 mph the dog was right beside me.  I yelled it's name and it immediately stopped and went back to the farmhouse.   Again, I was amazed at how fast that critter would run.  Nothing like a dog chasing you to get the old blood pumping.  Looking forward to more biking weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment