Tuesday, May 24, 2011



Sunday, I signed up for a fundraiser ride in Chicago to promote green energy. It turned out to be a beautiful day and somewhat windy but it was the first time I had ridden along Lake Shore Drive for 25 miles. I was joined by my son Christopher and his friend Cindy. It turned out to be quite an interesting experience. I had no idea that the south side of Chicago had this impressive bike trail. I will probably do more riding along Lake Michigan in the future. Also, as you can see from the picture Christopher is not wearing biking shorts rather khaki cargo pants. We who have ridden for some distance know the dangers of biking without equipment intended for that purpose. About four miles into the ride he indicated a"chaffing" sensation. I think in the future if he rides any distance, he will opt for the spandex even though it doesn't look as "cool" as regular shorts.
On another note, I'm looking forward to meeting with Wild Harry and Barbie in June as Barbie finishes her ride across the country. Hopefully, Magic Mike will join us in Champaign to have a mini reunion. Also, I'm also looking forward to the East Coast Ride in September and, as Jim reminded me, to not go into training mode too early. He is absolutely correct as I am recovering from "overuse" injuries as I write this. I will back off and begin a more reasonable training agenda later.
Also, if Lance Armstrong did indeed use EPO, how was he able to avoid detection for those 500 drug tests. (Yes, I am aware that the last entry was a non-sequitor) More later!!

1 comment:

  1. Champ,

    I am not so worried about your son riding with shorts, but with no helmet. If I remember correctly someone in 2009 had an accident 200 yards from the hotel and I bet you that person was glad he was wearing a helmet.

    ReplyDelete